cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Brian>
Subject Re: chromeview
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 18:37:50 GMT
Cool, sounds good. FTR we didn't get 2.3 running but Opera did. While
we know its possible we are questioning the diminishing value vs the
effort to get it working (and maintaining).

My ideal is that we get a bot going on Chromium then our create
tooling can take a flag to use the binary optionally. This would
require working w/ Chromium infra and I have no idea how that part

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Michal Mocny <> wrote:
> Adding to Bradens answer, here are some things I remember discussing:
> - Chrome/Android teams have significantly harder constraints than cordova
> would have in terms of backwards compatibility, stability, and API
> consistency.  Cordova could probably do interesting things if we didn't
> need to support older apps.  This is interesting.
> - On the other hand, ignoring the download size, Chrome team really hates
> forking/other f-wording the web and tries to do that as little as possible,
> and one of the tools to help with that is autoupdate/evergreen browsers.
>  If we bundle a renderer with a cordova app, when/how does it update?  What
> if there are vulnerabilities discovered? Performance improvements made?
>  Cordova is kinda a fancy browser, but this would literally mean shipping a
> custom browser with each app.  (cordova devs may argue that the android
> webview is a bigger pain/other f-word of the web, but alas..)
> There are many details, and some generally compelling pros/cons to an
> approach like this.  I think the most interesting point about an
> application-bundled chromeview is that Adobe folk got it running on 2.3,
> albeit with unknown stability.  I'de love to get a more compelling answer
> from Chrome/Android about what the future platform will entail -- perhaps
> we can have a better answer in a few weeks.
> -Michal
> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Braden Shepherdson <>wrote:
>> This is a thing. Unfortunately the person most connected to the state of
>> Chrome WebViews is Andrew, who is out with a strong case of newborn baby
>> for a few weeks. We (the Google Cordova team) are chasing some tangential
>> deadlines at the moment and not really ready to set up a buildbot.
>> I think the main, and substantial, drawback to the ChromeView approach is
>> that it makes the resulting app huge (upwards of 30MB). Also 4.0+. But I'm
>> just going from what I remember; Andrew would know more.
>> Braden
>> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Brian LeRoux <> wrote:
>> > So this is a thing:
>> >

>> > And we know our friends at The Google are going to give us an embedded
>> > ChromeView (someday maybe).
>> >
>> > So is this something the Cordova team should be considering?
>> >
>> > Can we work w/ our committers from Chromium to create a buildbot that
>> > creates that friendly little binary for us?

View raw message