cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Plugin and CordovaPlugin
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:54:20 GMT
Fun time to go on leave :)

Good call on putting back Plugin.java for now.

Definitely agree that we shouldn't have it for 3.0. But! We should point
out that plugins can copy & paste the file into their own package to make
old plugins "just work".

Joe - one big thing that got missed in your blog post about converting to
CordovaPlugin is that the threading model changes. That's actually the
biggest change in my mind, and plugin devs need to be aware of it. The
default used to be that all calls were made on a new background thread, the
new way is to make the calls on the WebCore thread and have plugins
delegate to background / ui threads manually.

If we're going to have more 2.x releases, I think it'd make more sense to
call them 2.10, 2.11 rather than 2.9.x. That said, I don't want to stretch
ourselves too thin by trying to maintain two very different branches.

Marcel - I like your idea of adding release notes / deprecation notices to
the docs. Perhaps this could be merged with the upgrade guides?

I've been thinking that it would be a good idea to have a Cordova blog
where committers could post to. I think an authoritative news source is
missing right now for Cordova. E.g. release announcements should go there,
what's new announcements, upgrade guides, new plugin announcements, etc.