cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Kinard <cmarc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Plugin and CordovaPlugin
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 19:14:41 GMT
On Jun 11, 2013, at 2:23 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:

> Whatever we decide can we be extra loud about it? Blog posts, tweets,
> google groups.
>
> On Tuesday, June 11, 2013, Joe Bowser wrote:
>
>> OK, We actually did deprecate this properly.  I don't know how I
>> missed this edit Simon did on the Wiki:
>>
>> https://wiki.apache.org/cordova/DeprecationPolicy

Yeah, something on this tack. So if it was deprecated properly, why is there noise in the
plugin ecosystem? Joe/Simon did the right things, but for whatever reason it didn't connect
with the consumers.

If we think this is just a matter of consumer communication, here are some potential ways
to improve that:
- add to cordova-docs a top-level "Upgrading Plugins Guide". I think Michael Billau had started
one and might have a draft. And Simon has a blog post on this topic.
- add to cordova-docs a top-level "Deprecation Index" that has:
	- pointers to other places in the docs (i.e., device.name, org.apache.cordova.api.Plugin)
where there is detail on which things are going away. And the history of which things already
have gone away.
	- in that detail, the version or date when they are going away, and link to the Upgrading
Plugins Guide or Upgrading Cordova <platformX> Guide or some other reference that says
what to do so you don't break when they do go away.
	- these would move it off the wiki into the docs, because perhaps consumers don't monitor
the wiki. Perhaps all that should remain on the wiki is the policy definition. It does seem
that the wiki is really geared to contributors/committers, not consumers.
- add to cordova-docs a top-level summary of "What's New in Cordova x.y". Shaz and Joe (and
Simon) do a great job posting that on their blogs, but feels like there ought to be something
in the docs. In lieu of making more work, just copy-paste their text into an md file for that
in the docs (if they are OK with that). That can include reminders of deprecation hits.

Is there an "official" news feed that could be monitored by plugin authors or other Cordova
consumers for changes like this? I found the @apachecordova Twitter account. But perhaps there
is something offered by apache-infra or elsewhere better suited to that kind of content. Whatever
it is, including a top-level pointer to it in cordova-docs so consumers know they should be
monitoring it. And so they can go back months later and look at the history easily (i.e.,
why did my plugin break in 2.2?).

Comments?

-- Marcel Kinard