cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Kinard <>
Subject Re: We need better contributions from new people
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 21:07:52 GMT
+1 to Ian's comments.

How about if:
- the developer (contributor or committer) is responsible to test their own code and correct
any problems before a pull request is submitted (contributor authored) or it lands in the
stream (committer authored). The testing includes both verifying the function they added/touched,
plus running mobile-spec to verify there are no regressions.
- if a pull request, the committer should sanity check the contributor's code.
- if a pull request, the committer should see that the contributor tested it. Perhaps that
could be a simple comment in Jira, similar to how Mike and Lisa worked as contributors here: .

I find it odd that "Processing Pull Requests" in
doesn't mention anything about testing or sanity checking / reviewing what comes from the
contributor. If there is consensus, I can add the verbage above to "Processing Pull Requests".
(Hmm, shouldn't there also be something there about doc for external behaviors / interfaces
/ requirements?)

Based on other commercial projects I've seen, and how aggressive you want to be, I'd also
be tempted to suggest:
- every new function and defect fix should include an automated test (where reasonably feasible)
that lands in mobile-spec at the same time as the new function / fix. What this does over
time is to build up coverage in the automated test suite that gets a lot better at catching
breakages / regressions. Yes, this takes time to do, but when mobile-spec is run, you've got

-- Marcel Kinard