cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Kinard <cmarc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sending BB7 to the farm
Date Mon, 13 May 2013 20:33:37 GMT
While I'm as happy as the next person to see old versions go away, perhaps something else should
be considered when making these decisions: country usage may not reflect global averages.

For example, I recently was in discussion with some folks in a large Asia country regarding
iOS 4.3. Apparently iOS 4.3 is much more widely used there than in North America / Europe,
it's not a rounding error. As it was explained to me, it is common for users to not upgrade
the OS on their phones there to the latest & greatest, it's part of the user behavior
/ culture.

So the relavant question I'd ask is how popular is BB7 in someplace like Canada? According
to http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-CA-monthly-201305-201305-bar the total BB usage looks
to currently be around 10%. It's unclear what portion is BB6 vs BB7 vs BB10. Are we OK with
dropping that population?

Our 5% threshold may be hiding some of the story when we look only at a single global number.

-- Marcel Kinard

On May 9, 2013, at 4:32 PM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:

> +1 sunsetting BB7
>
> On 5/8/13 8:58 AM, "Don Coleman" <don.coleman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd be happy to see BB7 go away.  It seems like 3.0 could drop support,
>> especially if BlackBerry is concentrating on 10 and not releasing webworks
>> updates.
>>
>> I have a client asking for support BB7 along with Android and iOS.  This
>> probably means that I have a cordova-cli project and a separate BB7 build
>> and keep BB7 on PhoneGap 2.x.
>>

>> On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Bryan Higgins
>> <bhiggins@blackberry.com>wrote:
>>
>>> It is fair to say that our team is focused solely on BB10. The WebWorks
>>> SDK
>>> for BBOS itself has no future planned releases.
>>>
>>> One point I should clear up is the new blackberry10 platform code we're
>>> introducing does not cover PlayBook as well. The PlayBook runs TabletOS,
>>> which while built on qnx does not as of yet have binary compatibility
>>> with
>>> BB10. Our CEO has said BB10 for PlayBook is in development, but there