cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Braden Shepherdson <bra...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: New directory structure in cordova-cli's future branch
Date Thu, 23 May 2013 15:21:43 GMT
cd app
git init

Now my app directory - everything that makes this app mine and isn't just a
cordova-cli artifact - is version controlled. I can easily check out a new
copy with a cordova create ...; rm -rf app; git clone https://.../myrepo.git
app

Once we have app-level dependencies (which is planned regardless), I can
add cordova fetch-deps or whatever we decide the command should be, and now
my app is fully set up. No need to juggle .gitignore or anything else. It's
hardly a killer feature, but I think it is an improvement.

Michal asked what change we would regret more a year from now. I think this
style makes the separation of CLI artifacts and my app more clear, and if
we add more pieces to either it won't require changing people's .gitignore
files or knowing about the architecture.

Braden

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:

> I want to be very clear that my tone here is emotionless! I'm totally
> indifferent.
>
> Now, please explain: how is a new directory make version control
> easier? I don't buy it.
>

> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Braden Shepherdson <braden@chromium.org>
> wrote:
> > The change is not purely aesthetic; it means that the "my app" portions
> of
> > the structure are now contained in a single directory, and easier to
> > version control.
> >
> > This change gets more expensive every day. If we're ever going to do it,
> it
> > should be done now, I believe.
> >
> > It seems like the (not universally supported) consensus from the first
> pass
> > at this thread was to keep the app/ dir but have automatic detection and
> > ask-then-automatic conversion.
> >
> > If that approach is still acceptable, I will implement that support today
> > before we tag CLI for 2.8.
> >
> > Braden
> >

> > On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Fil, good summary, thanks for that.  I also agree with your proposal.
> >>  Would it be possible to just support both options starting now, and
> >> "deprecate" www/ at the top level in 3.0?
> >>
> >> Brian, this isn't just aesthetics, but its true that either option can,
> >> with varying difficulty, be made to work for all use cases.
> >>
> >> Migration path is trivial but will be paid by all users, still,
> workflows
> >> will change completely with 3.0 anyway, this being the least of the
> >> changes.  Which decision is more likely to be regretted a year from now?
> >>
> >> -Michal
> >>

> >> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org

> things
> having so

> proposed

> that
I'd
> aesthetics
> >> we
> justify a

> http://apache.markmail.org/thread/syo24cwvhpkxqfdm#query:+page:1+mid:j76xli
> http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@cordova.apache.org/msg05775.html

> bits

> don't
> solve
> >> for
> up
Build)

> >> feel I
> going,

> >> in,
> change
> >> is
> out

> >> structure,
> bake,
> should

> every
> >> possible

> the
> >> regret.
> of
> >> the
> >> more

> >> mmocny@chromium.org>

> >> are:
> >> only
> >> above
> like
> of
> >> the

> >> starting

> >> plugin

> >> folders)
> not

> >> this,
> concept,
> >> but
> option

> >> platform

 Can
> >> even
 That
> would

to:

> http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@cordova.apache.org/msg05775.html

> >> app-harness
> build.
> app/.

> still

it?

directory
> structure.
> >> It
cost for ppl
> using
> >> the

Grieve <

emails and it's not
> clear
it though:

(master branch)
> non-backwards-compatible
structure.

these changes to users.
> >> What

are now relative to
useful messages when
> >> they
your app's structure

to run to convert
> their
guide and have the
> >> error

Kim <
> timkim85@gmail.com>

future branch:

back in to future. I've

<anis.kadri@gmail.com>

really have a strong
> opinion
thread, I do like this
> new
there and tested then fine.
> We
is one too many. What
give them an upgrade path
a good place for that).

there are more important
had on your list but since js
> >> only
The next big thing that is
(which will in some
> ways
have a discussion about that
couple of ideas about that.

plugman tests
> and it
it.

AM, Michael Wolf <

anything we can do to reduce
done.   These type of changes
only so users can plan for

<purplecabbage@gmail.com>

of devgeek Tommy

on this list, ....
be tracked back to a thread
> here,
bbs, ...

1:48 PM, tommy-carlos Williams

that helps users everyday, the
it coming" tone of this is a bit

before the deprecation policy, etc
> when
everything whenever a new version came

come a long way since then (with a
it).  I would hate to be the one in
> IRC
to explain this to everyone using the

that the cli was "shipping"
I know that quite a few people are
If that is true, then we have a
before breaking something and
> come up

1:40, Braden Shepherdson <

list post is, or will shortly be, indexed
will see the new docs and create

on IRC, existing users are either
that this software is new and under
to jump on it early they're going to have

don't really know of any better way to
a brief blog post on this would make

how many people are using these tools and
certainly some turn up on IRC
> occasionally.

2013 at 11:24 AM, Filip Maj

we communicate this change to our existing

5:22 PM, "Braden Shepherdson" <

just pushed a change to the future branch that
to:

android/

ios/

discussed at our video conference meeting a
has a number of advantages:
is no longer in the www/ directory
can easily version control the whole app/
merges and so on into the repo.
repo can contain additional information: a
tests, whatever. The CLI will ignore
and www directories.

is that this is a breaking change:
on an old project will fail (but I think
> in
the directories. You can do that with

app
www/config.xml app
www app
merges app

and tests are updated as well. Any problems
and assigned to me.