cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Lorin Beer <>
Subject Sending BB7 to the farm
Date Wed, 08 May 2013 14:27:14 GMT
Don's question regarding a BB7 roadmap yesterday made me realize that we
don't have one. Concentrating on BB10/Playbook has caused us ignore BB7.

A little while ago, BB7 was discussed in terms of sending her off to the
farm/attic/(silicon afterlife). The decision was reached that we should
keep up support.

I believe BlackBerry's stance is that they are not interested in
maintaining the BB7 Cordova implementation. Ken, Bryan, jump in here and
correct me if I'm wrong.

There is a lot of work involved in getting BB7 to the 3.0.0 cli stage, and
if the plan is to drop support for the platform entirely within the next 6
months, I don't see that this work is justified.

Deprecation policy is 3 releases now, which means 3.1.0 is the soonest we
can drop it.

Given that :
- Brett on PhoneGap build has described the BB7 usage statistic as "noise"
- no new jira tickets are submitted for BB7 unless it's by our team

I propose that we :

1. keep BB7 pre-cli maintenance mode regardless of how many releases it
sticks around for

2. announce BB7 deprecation and drop BB7 before the 3.0.0 release

The reasoning for 2 is to not pollute the 3.0 release with legacy code
which is not CLI compliant. I realize that this contravenes our deprecation
policy, but I think the level of interest in BB7 may let us get away with

- Lorin