cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Heifetz <jheif...@blackberry.com>
Subject Re: Naming: cordova-2.8.0.js --> cordova.js
Date Wed, 01 May 2013 15:41:22 GMT
Tl;dr I'd like to propose a different but similar solution based on the
evolution of WebWorks. That we automatically inject cordova.js into a
specific place in the app (say the root since thats where cordova_plugins
is) and then the developer simply adds a script tag to the correct
location accounting for the build command to place it there for them. This
guarantees they will always have a script compatible with the native
components.

For those who don't know, at blackberry we worked on a proprietary web
platform roughly equivalent to cordova, that the cordova implementation
was based on.

When we re-wrote it we initially copied the cordova approach and named our
file webworks-version.js. Then we made the switch exactly like the one
being proposed here and went with webworks.js.
	The very next version we had a huge problem where people were forgetting
to update their scripts constantly.
	We next tried to solve this by adding code to make sure that the script
tag was compatible with the native code. This worked fine but was still a
large hassle for developers and especially people publishing things like
samples since their script was constantly out of date.
	Finally we settled on the solution I'm proposing here, where we injected
the script into approot/chrome/webworks.js and the html referenced it
there. We never had any problems or complaints since.

On 13-05-01 4:01 AM, "Giorgio Natili" <g.natili@gnstudio.com> wrote:

>+1 cordova.js with version as a header comment
>

>On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 6:15 AM, Benn Mapes <benn.mapes@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> +1 for sure....
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Anis KADRI <anis.kadri@gmail.com>
>>wrote: