cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Android] Including okHttp as source might not be such a good idea
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2013 04:05:13 GMT
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 7:53 PM, Ian Clelland <iclelland@google.com> wrote:
> Lets not try to force all developers to change their settings; that sounds
> like a world of pain.

Honestly, it took me an afternoon to change my Eclipse to use Java 1.6
instead of Java 1.5, and it's probably a good idea for people to do
it.  Only old school Android developers will ever have this problem,
so I don't think we should worry about that too much. That being said,
we should migrate towards using a JAR instead of source because OkHttp
will have more source than Cordova will once we rip out the plugin.

> Can we distribute the jar with cordova-android, rather than fetching it at
> install time like with commons-codec? I'm fairly certain that the Apache
> license allows that. Also, I don't think that OkHttp has tagged releases
> like codec, and I think I would rather ship with tested versions rather
> than pointing new users at whatever HEAD happens to be at at any given day.

No, we can't distribute ANY binary blobs and that includes jars.  This
is an ASF restriction and not an Apache licence restriction.
Everything in the project has to be source code, so it's actually
better from a legal case to distribute source, which is why for now we
should leave OkHttp in there, despite the fact that it'll look very
absurd very soon.