cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Standardized gestures
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2013 17:28:42 GMT
I would rather try and fix the touchstart than have to add a bunch of
gestures in Java on this.  This feels like we're taking something away
from the Javascript developer, which is a bad thing IMO.  This might
be cool as a plugin, but I don't know if we should add it as a core
feature of Cordova.

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM, jbondc@openmv.com <jbondc@openmv.com> wrote:
> On the short them, it would help solve 'Android fragmentation' problems:
> https://github.com/android/platform_frameworks_base/blob/android-cts-4.0.3_r2/core/java/android/webkit/WebView.java#L6044
>
> https://github.com/android/platform_frameworks_base/blob/master/core/java/android/webkit/WebViewClassic.java#L5824
>
> Android doesn't exactly pass the touchstart etc.. events to webkit the same way and more
importantly with the same delays. Not to mention, some versions have bugs (missing touchend,
touchmove events).
> If coding a pure HTML/javascript app, you can avoid the 'native' onTouch() processing
and pass events faster to your app.

> It's an educated guess at the moment, but I'm quite sure performance / response time
for the user on all platforms will be better if the gesture detection is done on the native
side.

> On the long term, I don't see how JavaScript libraries would allow (within reasonable
ms) for more complex 'gesture' detection. I would rather do something like:
> webView.addGesture('swipe');
> webView.addGesture('handgrab');
> onTouch/Gesture:
> // do gesture detection in native code
>    webView.sendJavascript("cordova.fireEvent('handgrab', {node, ...}");

detection in JavaScript by listening to these events.