cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Clelland <iclell...@google.com>
Subject Re: Are we supposed to include okhttp source in Cordova-Android?
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2013 18:35:31 GMT
Using OkHttp rather than the built-in Android HTTP stack gives us a number
of benefits:

 - Better control over edge-case error conditions (See CB-2293, which was
one of the primary motivators)
 - A consistent, up-to-date http stack across all Android devices, which
will allow us to remove a lot of workarounds in our code, which only exist
because of bugs in the OS's implementations.
 - SPDY support -- at least in theory, I haven't tried it out yet (but it's
on my list of things to try this week)

It's not *required* required -- we *could* continue to try to work around
the bugs in older devices, but there are some types of bug that just can't
be fixed at the application level; you need fix them at the HTTP level.

Ian