cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Clelland <iclell...@chromium.org>
Subject File version numbers in release branches
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2013 14:46:40 GMT
>From cordova-dev, hash 125dca5:
> Incrememnting the version can be done on the branch, right? This doesn't
need to be added back to master.

I think that generally the answer to that commit message should be 'yes',
we shouldn't be making the claim that the master branch represents any
particular version of cordova.

If the files in the master branch were going to have a version at all, it
would be something like '2.7.0-prerelease', to indicate what the code is
going to become. After some discussions here, though, I think it is
probably best just to change the versions of all of the files to 'master'
-- to have that be the permanent revision number for the master branch.

(The only reason I can think to have a version associated with those files
is so that people reporting bugs can say "I'm running this version".
However, if they're running files checked out of the master branch on
github, then we need to know more specifically what commit they're using.
It would be far more useful for them to be able to say "It's version
master-20130402", or to include the commit hash, as "master-5a6b48a", than
a general "2.7.0-pre".)

Ian