cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Unifying the config.xml
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 21:04:10 GMT
On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Gorkem Ercan <gorkem.ercan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Some feedback:
> >
> > +    <access origin=".*"/>
> > +    <access origin="http://127.0.0.1*"/> <!-- allow local pages -->`
> >
> > Why have the second line? it's made redundant by the first, and when we
> do
> > serve files locally, we do so via file: URLs.
> >

> I have copied this use from the android's existing config.xml [1]. It does
> not make much sense to me either but since I did not have time to
> investigate it deeply and did not want to break anything, I kept it as it
> is. We can easily remove it if you think it will not harm anything for
> Android.
>
> [1]
>
> https://github.com/apache/cordova-android/blob/master/framework/res/xml/config.xml

ah, okay. Yeah, I think it should just be removed.

> > +    <log level="DEBUG"/>
> >
> > I don't see <log> in the widget spec. Seems like a good idea to be able
> > se a log level, but probably would be more appropriate as a <preference>,
> > and out of the scope of this change.
> >

> Correct, this is not on the spec but Android at the moment is actually
> using log element to configure its logging level and therefore it is
> present on the current android config.xml. I also agree that logging is not
> in the scope of this change and it is  probably a fair amount of work. If
> you think the effect on Android is trivial, I can remove it from the
> templates.

Cool, didn't know that. I think for now, let's at least keep this confined
to Android's config.xml then or convert it to a <preference> before we
expose it to other platforms.

> > Using <param> for the class name does more align with the spec, but using
> > $platform-package to address platform differences seems out of place
> > compared with how these are addressed by CLI's config.xml (using
> > gap:platform attributes or <platform> tags). What would be better (I
> think)
> > would be to have <param name="package" value="foo"/>, and use CLI/plugman
> > to deal with putting in the correct versions per platform.
> >
> > E.g., if iOS adds something to its template config.xml file, I don't want
> > to have to add this value to each platform's config.xml file.
> >

> I wanted to keep it within the spec because any extensions to the widget
> spec needs a wider concencus . I used the $platform-package convention but
> could be any of the other options as long as it allows us to mark the
> element with a platform. I think this is something that needs to be agreed
> and continued.

I'm not so much focused on what the attribute is called, but rather I feel
more strongly that we shouldn't put iOS-specific things in Android's
config.xml and vice-versa. Reason being is that if you extrapolate this to
our ~10 platforms, that's a tonne of duplicated settings, and any tweak you
want to make to one, you need to then make in ~10 repositories.

Instead, what we should do is move to using cordova-cli's config.xml be the
unified version:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cordova-cli.git;a=blob;f=templates/www/config.xml;h=206bc5698780acda1863c4612cc36291a15b0472;hb=HEAD

Note though that we don't have <feature> in here, since they are defined in
plugin.xml. e.g.:
https://github.com/MobileChromeApps/chrome-cordova/blob/master/plugins/socket/plugin.xml

> > On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Yes please. I want to get this pain all over with :)

> > > Android

> > corrected

> > Sorry

> > the