cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Gorkem Ercan <gorkem.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unifying the config.xml
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2013 19:28:56 GMT
I see your point... I have unified the template config.xmls on all
platforms, perhaps it would be a better idea to differentiate the template
config.xml per platform so that the values from other platforms are not
spread to all... CLIs template can still carry the values of all platforms
that is its purpose anyway. If that sounds fine I will update the PR.
--
Gorkem

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 12:04 AM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > is. We can easily remove it if you think it will not harm anything for
> > Android.
> >
> > [1]
> >

> https://github.com/apache/cordova-android/blob/master/framework/res/xml/config.xml
>

> ah, okay. Yeah, I think it should just be removed.
>

> > > +    <log level="DEBUG"/>
> > >
> > > I don't see <log> in the widget spec. Seems like a good idea to be able
> > > se a log level, but probably would be more appropriate as a
> <preference>,
> > > and out of the scope of this change.
> > >

> > Correct, this is not on the spec but Android at the moment is actually
> > using log element to configure its logging level and therefore it is
> > present on the current android config.xml. I also agree that logging is
> not
> > in the scope of this change and it is  probably a fair amount of work. If
> > you think the effect on Android is trivial, I can remove it from the
> > templates.
> >

> Cool, didn't know that. I think for now, let's at least keep this confined
> to Android's config.xml then or convert it to a <preference> before we
> expose it to other platforms.
>

> > > Using <param> for the class name does more align with the spec, but
> using
> > > $platform-package to address platform differences seems out of place
> > > compared with how these are addressed by CLI's config.xml (using
> > > gap:platform attributes or <platform> tags). What would be better (I
> > think)
> > > would be to have <param name="package" value="foo"/>, and use
> CLI/plugman
> > > to deal with putting in the correct versions per platform.
> > >
> > > E.g., if iOS adds something to its template config.xml file, I don't
> want
> > > to have to add this value to each platform's config.xml file.
> > >

> > I wanted to keep it within the spec because any extensions to the widget
> > spec needs a wider concencus . I used the $platform-package convention
> but
> > could be any of the other options as long as it allows us to mark the
> > element with a platform. I think this is something that needs to be
> agreed
> > and continued.
> >

> I'm not so much focused on what the attribute is called, but rather I feel
> more strongly that we shouldn't put iOS-specific things in Android's
> config.xml and vice-versa. Reason being is that if you extrapolate this to
> our ~10 platforms, that's a tonne of duplicated settings, and any tweak you
> want to make to one, you need to then make in ~10 repositories.
>
> Instead, what we should do is move to using cordova-cli's config.xml be the
> unified version:
>
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cordova-cli.git;a=blob;f=templates/www/config.xml;h=206bc5698780acda1863c4612cc36291a15b0472;hb=HEAD
>
> Note though that we don't have <feature> in here, since they are defined in

element, one param
> per
> from

> > plugin