cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Kerri Shotts <kerrisho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New directory structure in cordova-cli's future branch
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 21:12:40 GMT
I can't say I have strong feelings one way or the other.

I will say that having config.xml inside www *does* feel odd. So I'd be all for moving it
to the project's root directory (but that breaks spec. Is that good? Bad?). Which is a breaking
change, and so we'd still have to deal with older projects. But there are times that's going
to happen anyway (though I think the tone "it's alpha, expect it" is a little odd, since it
comes off as a shipping product; so I would echo a lot that Tommy wrote. If we're going to
do that, cordova-cli should have a v0.# instead of v2.6.0 or the like.)

Ultimately, I think if the change is breaking, the bare minimum must be a well-defined failure
*up-front* that indicates to the user that they need to do something with their directory
structure (the gravy would be letting the user say to the script, "yes, I want you to do this
for me"). We should never rely on a "we hope it fails", because there will be a case where
it won't, and will seriously screw something up. That will equal several unhappy users.

<semi-rant>I know, that if we use this directory structure, that the way to get your
project up-to-date isn't hard. But there are plenty of users who already have an aversion
to the command line, and this is going to be too much. It's hard enough to convince them to
use cordova-cli in the first place, the main idea being "it'll be easier to manage your cross-platform
projects". But there are plenty of users who are still upset that there's no GUI way to do
this (nor a GUI way to create a single-platform project), and so we do risk having too much
of a starting obstacle when it comes to getting started with Phonegap. Clearly there are loads
of users in the forum who are not experts when it comes to understanding the command line,
and I do think that at some point, we need to be sensitive to those needs.  </semi-rant>

Finally, let me just say this: I wouldn't use versioning as an argument. I can easily tell
Git what to ignore, and it does so happily. So to me that's a non-starter.
___________________________________
Kerri Shotts
photoKandy Studios, LLC

On the Web: http://www.photokandy.com/