cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Maj <...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Platform-level command line scripts ;)
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2013 22:51:39 GMT
It looks like we are split between Reductionist (four commands and/or less
commands) and.. The opposite.. Of reductionists? Antireductionist?

Two points I think supporting the antireductionist argument:

1. number of scripts being an issue because of possible bug repetition
across scripts is put to bed by refactoring common functionality into
sub-scripts.
2. more "generic" scripts have been problematic before because of
complicated workflows for some of them (like Anis points out for `run`)
and unstandardized defaults across platforms. I saw this problem at the
hack night last night, where people were confused as to the behavior of
`emulate` (does it always start a new emulator? Does it load my app onto
the emulator too?).

We have all agreed on the default implementation for all of these scripts,
however we split them out, to be: error out.

Additionally and to Brian's point, more complex workflows can be built up
by using the baseline scripts we are trying to define here. Nothing
stopping us from composing a new `debug` script (or remember `BOOM` in
cordova-android?) once we have the baseline functionality sorted.

It comes down to two commands currently in contention:

1. `build`. It's either split this up into `build-debug` and
`build-release` or `build --debug` and `build --release` with debug being
default.
2. `run`. We are actually aiming to combine the existing `debug` and
`emulate` commands into this one new `run` one, which I think actually
exacerbates the problem we are trying to solve here.

Should we start a separate vote thread?