cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Maj <...@adobe.com>
Subject Platform-level command line scripts
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 22:42:26 GMT
Bringing this up once more, hopefully the last time :)

TL;DR: the behavior and naming of the platform-level scripts are still not
100% lined up. I'd like to fix this and agree with you all on some of the
finer points surrounding this issue.

Benn Mapes, an intern at Adobe, has been working on adding Windows Phone
support to cordova-cli. It's been a bit of work, but the first step is to
land command line scripts at the Windows Phone project level, which he is
actively working on. With this happening, I want to make sure we have our
base project-level CLI scripts sorted properly.

Additionally, I've been seeing issues filed against the CLI with
essentially users being confused as to why the behavior of "cordova build"
vs "cordova emulate" on different platforms is different [1] [2].

The answer to all of this is that the project-level scripts have slightly
different behavior. I've looked into what each of Android, iOS and
BlackBerry (10) do and I've got a basic table sorted out (below). I would
like to get to an agreement on naming and behavior for each, and ideally
file issues to get as many of our platform implementations as possible to
implement/tweak behavior so that we are consistent on this front.

Scripts
-------

 - build
   - Android: equivalent of running `ant debug`, which simply compiles
your app in debug mode
   - BB10: packages your app into a zip, runs `bbwp` on it, and code-signs
it
   - iOS: runs a compilation with xcodebuild with configuration set to
"Debug"
 - clean
   - Android: equivalent of running `ant clean`, which removes any build
artifacts
   - BB10: does not exist
   - iOS: does not exist
 - log
   - Android: `adb logcat`
   - BB10: does not exist
   - iOS: `tail -f console.log`
 - release:
   - Android `ant release`, compiles with your actual signing key
   - BB10: NOPE
   - iOS: compiles with xcodebuild with configuration set to "Release"
 - run:
   - Android: runs on EITHER a connected device, or if no device, on a
running emulator, or if no running emulator, launches an emulator (and if
multiple emulator profiles exist, prompts user to pick one), then finally
runs the app on it
   - BB10: asks user if there's a connected device. Then either launches a
simulator + loads the app (if user says he/she has no connected device),
or attempts runs a debug build of the app on a connected device
   - iOS: launches an emulator using ios-sim with the app
 - emulate:
   - Android: does not exist
   - BB10: does not exist
   - iOS: launches an emulator using ios-sim with the app

Easy Wins
---------

 - build: BB10 should change current behaviour so that it doesn't code
sign the package.
 - clean: add scripts for BB10 and iOS to support this (should be dead
simple).
 - release: BB10 should implement a script that runs a build + a code-sign
on the built package.

Harder Wins

There's confusing behavior with run + emulate commands across platforms.
IMO emulate should handle launching an emulator, and run should handle
deployment, with an extra flag available for run command that specifies
the deployment target (device or emulator, perhaps --device and
--emulator). Also not entirely sure how Ripple fits in here but I would
definitely like to see Ripple as the default emulator target.

Lots to chew on here but I would highly appreciate some feedback! Renaming
some of these commands is on the table too if anyone sees benefit there!