cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Maj <...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Documentation issues
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 21:33:30 GMT

On 3/5/13 4:35 PM, "Marc Fielding" <marc.fielding@dataclysm.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm getting up to speed with Cordova but have encountered some confusing
>doc issues:
>
>1) When upgrading a project from 2.4.0 to 2.5.0, the upgrade instructions
>say to make several changes to "your config.xml file", when in reality
>all changes seem to indicate that it's a change to the testing variant of
>config.xml and not the normal one provided with cordova-cli.

The upgrade instructions provided are for using the underlying platform
libraries, not the cli tools. We are still trying to achieve full parity
across all platforms with config.xml as the target so there are
differences at this point.

>2) I can't find documentation for upgrading my cordova-cli based project
>from 2.4.0 to 2.5.0.  While I could probably figure it out, given the
>presence of a big change like the new "merges" hierarchy, I'm just going
>to create a new 2.5.0 project in cordova-cli and bring my project changes
>over manually.  Any chance of a "cordova upgrade" command at some point?
>:)

Yes there is an issue filed [1] but still trying to figure out how the
hell to do it :P.

>3) I can't find documentation about the following entries in the
>cordova-cli config.xml:
>
>  21     <gap:splash src="res/screen/android_hdpi_landscape.png"
>width="800"  height="480"  gap:platform="android" />
>  43     <preference name="phonegap-version" value="1.9.0" />   [And why
>is this 1.9.0 and not 2.5.0?]
>  44     <preference name="orientation"      value="default" />
>  45     <preference name="target-device"    value="universal" />
>  46     <preference name="fullscreen"       value="false" />
>
>   Furthermore, the URL in the following line from the same file doesn't
>actually resolve to a page:
>
>  41     <feature name="http://api.phonegap.com/1.0/device" />

I think those are remnants from the PhoneGap and PhoneGap Build projects.
I believe build uses the preferences and offers splash screen support via
those elements.

>4) cordova-cli obviously does a lot behind the scenes when executing the
>create, platform, and prepare commands.  Can we please add a verbosity
>parameter to the cordova command that lets me see detailed output?  That
>would really help my learning curve and troubleshooting while docs are
>still under development.

Yep working on it! There is an issue filed [2]. Pull requests welcome :D

>5) Adding " <preference name="UIWebViewBounce" value="false" />"  to
>www/config.xml will cause it to appear both in
>platforms/android/res/xml/config.xml and
>./platforms/ios/LBSuser/config.xml even though it's an iOS only
>preference.

Hmm, yeah. Not a big deal though, ya?