cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Maj <...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Issues with CLI
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 21:17:34 GMT
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

On 3/6/13 12:16 PM, "Becky Gibson" <gibson.becky@gmail.com> wrote:

>Fil, perhaps I over explained!
>
>Regarding my question about the directory:
>
>>1) Although I could easily figure it out from the note about changing
>ownership of the cordova directory, it would help to state up front the
>directory where cordova will be installed.
>
>All I really want is to state that cordova will be installed in
>usr/local/lib/node_modules/cordova if the user has installed node in the
>default directory.

The tools *should* tell you where the tools are being installed if it
detects a global install. See this line:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/blob/master/bootstrap.js#L62

If you didn't see this, then that detection is wonky, and we should file a
bug.

>And regarding the create commane,  yes, I did see the create command in
>the
>Global Commands section, but my point was that the explanation of  create
>doesn't tell me that I must add "cordova" in front of it.  That might be
>obvious to others but I was busy looking for create.sh in the directory
>structure.

If you have ideas on how to restructure that documentation, feel free to
push some changes up :)

>-b
>

>On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
>
>> I love the theory of a global cli that is so well designed that we
>> never have to change it and everything 'just works' across versions. I
>> suspect we may want this to bake as the 'official way' for some time
>> before we attmpt it.

Version handling is definitely an outstanding todo. The problem is that
the underlying libs (at least at the time of the start of work on the cli
tools, around cordova 2.2) are still changing. The behavior of the bin/ +
cordova/ scripts, the structure of the config file, that kind of stuff has
been wavering, and as a result, the tools had to evolve as well.