cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Brooks <mich...@michaelbrooks.ca>
Subject Re: Cordova Documentation version based urls make for poor web search targets
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 23:40:09 GMT

>  When I google for cordova documentation, I'm usually taken to an old version
> (say, 2.1.0).

This has also been a problem with the PhoneGap documentation.

Eventually, the doc generator will be rewritten and we should definitely
keep this issue in mind.

It would be nice to have a short-term solution though. I like the idea of
adding some JavaScript inspection and rendering a small flash message at
the top. I'll create a JIRA issue for this.

Also, I took a look at how some other projects do it (like python) and they
> just use a single url for "latest" and only create custom version-based
> urls for previous releases.  (And since they link to latest more often than
> to specific releases, I guess it naturally ranks higher)

Yup, I think the "latest" directory or storing the latest release in the
root directory should be a long-term solution for the rewritten generator.

The documentation URL in the MIDDLE of cordova.apache.org still points to
> the 2.4.0 docs.  The one on the bottom correctly points to 2.5.0. Couldn't
> all links just point to the LATEST version of the docs and have the server
> just handle the redirection via symlink?

I noticed this as well and updated the generator. That documentation link
is now generated from the latest release version, so there is no need to
manually update it.