cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Brooks <mich...@michaelbrooks.ca>
Subject Re: Platform-level command line scripts
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2013 21:29:31 GMT
+1 Fil's outlined design.

I'm still not convinced of what Anis and Andrew are in favour of. Having
each script do more will make it more difficult for common results across
all platforms.

I really like Anis's suggestion of just four scripts. What's the motivation
> for having many scripts? Having fewer will dramatically reduce copy & paste
> bugs. It will also aid discoverability (since you'll get --help instead of
> just "ls" and infer from the name what they do).

The motivation for having many scripts is that there is a single entry
point for a single action. Each action is discrete. Either a platform
supports `deploy-emulator` or doesn't. If we have a single `run`
entry-point, it becomes confusing whether a platform supports all
requirements of the `run` action.

I feel the code repetition is also a weak argument. We are defining
entry-point scripts. You can refactor out the common routines (e.g. build)
into a helper script that can be invoked by multiple scripts. As far as I
know, this is possible in bash, batch, and Windows Script Hosting.

ripple should be a separate option and not a separate command in my
> opinion. To simplify things and if everyone agrees we can ignore the `run`
> command flow above and launch ripple by default and ask users to specify
> options if they want to deploy and run to a particular device/emulator.

I feel Ripple has no place in the platform-specific scripts. I love Ripple,
but Ripple belongs is a higher-level tool such as Cordova CLI. The
platform-specific scripts are meant to deal with platform-specific
functions.

Michael