cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Anis KADRI <anis.ka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Prototype for automatic JS installation in cordova-cli
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 23:39:47 GMT
I read [1] and looked at your pull request and I believe I agree with most
of it. I will have to take your code for a spin to see how this new
js-module tag works with its merges/clobbers/runs features.

However, I strongly disagree with this feature only being available in
cordova-cli (specifically your src/plugin_loader.js in your pull request).
If I don't use cordova-cli I should still be available to install plugins.
I believe this should be handled by the plugman tool.

Now that I think more about it, I think plugman should just be a separate
library that can be included in cordova-cli. Nothing prevents it from
having its own command line interface as it does today.

The performance gain from having one file vs multiple files should
be insignificant in our case. As far as I know, pages loads can be impacted
from having multiple script tags because:
- multiple HTTP requests are initiated to download/parse external resources
(some browsers have limitations to the # of simultaneous connections).
Since they're all packaged with the app in our case I don't think this will
have an impact.
- Parser performance. I have no numbers to back this up but I think the
impact should be insignificant.

Indeed, having multiple files instead of one does however improve our
debugging abilities. I think we should drop the performance discussion
until we hit a real-world problem.

-a