cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Braden Shepherdson <bra...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Moving www into an app folder
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:32:05 GMT
A big +1 from me for this world, Michal's option 2.

I want to be able to cordova create <some-git-URL>, and have it create an
empty project where the app/ directory is the git repo.

Then a full project might look like this:

platforms/
    android/
    ios/
plugins/
app/
    merges/
    www/
    README.md
    config.xml
    docs/
    etc...

So I can have whatever meta-information I want inside my app/ (and
therefore my git repo) - tests, docs, samples, etc. - but not inside the
www that actually ships. This makes it sane to have just the app's files in
git, but not the platforms/ or plugins/ directories.

Braden

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org> wrote:

> So a few questions:
>
> 0. Do we want to support app distribution?  Sample apps, Test Harness,
> working in a team, open source projects.. hint at yes, but we could just
> leave that to be done manually.
> 1. Do we want to support app documentation? Where would you put it if you
> wanted to ship it along with a app?
> 2. Do we have any apps already using the merges/ folder?  How do they ship
> it?
>
> I suspect what would happen now is app devs would already need an app
> folder to keep all the pieces, would cordova create a workspace, and
> link/copy over www/ and merges/.
>
> If we wanted to support app distribution (such that say cordova create
> <path-to-app>), we would need to support importing from an app folder (for
> the two folder merges and www reason alone).  Yet we currently plan to
> unpack that app folder inside the workspace.
>
> -Michal
>

> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
>
> > Ya no worries we'll advocate on best for the project vs our particular
> > downstream. File path handling, while tedious, is most certainly not a
> > reason to block a reasonable change.
> >
> > I think this is reasonable but not convinced it is a win.
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org>
> wrote:
> > > Ah yes, I see what you are asking.  The point being that phonegap build
> > > would need to change to work with the new structure.
> > >
> > > Its a fair point, and its important generally to not harm downstream
> > > distributions on purpose, but I think we generally should do whats best
> > for
> > > cordova and give downstream every opportunity to adjust.  With this
> > > particular proposal I can only image it would not be a problem,
> > especially
> > > if they use the same tools internally (but the actual phonegap build
> team
> > > should speak here).
> > >
> > > -Michal

> > would