cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <mmo...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Prototype for automatic JS installation in cordova-cli
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2013 16:01:09 GMT
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 6:39 PM, Anis KADRI <anis.kadri@gmail.com> wrote:

> I read [1] and looked at your pull request and I believe I agree with most
> of it. I will have to take your code for a spin to see how this new
> js-module tag works with its merges/clobbers/runs features.
>
> However, I strongly disagree with this feature only being available in
> cordova-cli (specifically your src/plugin_loader.js in your pull request).
> If I don't use cordova-cli I should still be available to install plugins.
> I believe this should be handled by the plugman tool.
>
> Now that I think more about it, I think plugman should just be a separate
> library that can be included in cordova-cli. Nothing prevents it from
> having its own command line interface as it does today.

This sounds fine to me.  I think Braden wasn't really considering decisions
at that level for this first proof of concept.
We also have a call scheduled soon to go over exactly these issues, and he
did this work here precisely so that we have the background to know what to
discuss.
(So, thanks Braden!)

> The performance gain from having one file vs multiple files should
> be insignificant in our case. As far as I know, pages loads can be impacted
> from having multiple script tags because:
> - multiple HTTP requests are initiated to download/parse external resources
> (some browsers have limitations to the # of simultaneous connections).
> Since they're all packaged with the app in our case I don't think this will
> have an impact.
> - Parser performance. I have no numbers to back this up but I think the
> impact should be insignificant.
>
> Indeed, having multiple files instead of one does however improve our
> debugging abilities. I think we should drop the performance discussion
> until we hit a real-world problem.

I agree.