cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <mmo...@chromium.org>
Subject apps as plugins
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2013 20:34:42 GMT
Paraphrasing from meeting notes today:

* plugins are getting awesome treatment:
  * universe
  * dependencies
  * versioning
  * add/remove/upgrade
  * access to native
  * multiple plugins in one repo
* apps are getting some treatment:
  * the app manifest has access to platform properties
  * merges folder

My observation is, if we merged the two concepts, we could share the
benefits, but with some changes to the tools required, and certainty for
confusion.

I think we've solved a lot of problems in the last few weeks, that will
make cordova-cli pretty awesome.  As a result it will have enough
flexibility that we can accomplish a lot of the above in a variety of ways.

For example, I could already ship my app code within a directory of a
plugin, and document that you should manually symlink to that app within
your workspace.  That way I can get app versioning, plugin dependancies,
etc, just by way of packaging apps within plugins.

-Michal