cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Becky Gibson <>
Subject Issues with CLI
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 19:39:37 GMT
I played around a bit with cordova-cli and have a few comments and
questions.   I think a bit more detail in the instructions would resolve
most of my issues.   I think I am a fairly good test subject with respect
to Android since I am not familiar with the SDK and don't use it much.  I
also haven't used npm and am not familiar with the file layout so I
couldn't (easily) rely on poking through the cordova-cli files to answer my
questions.  Also, defining the audience for cli and the cli documentation
might make some of these issues moot.

   1. Although I could easily figure it out from the note about changing
   ownership of the cordova directory, it would help to state up front the
   directory where cordova will be installed.
   2. What version of Cordova is being installed - next, master or can I
   specify a specific version as a parameter to npm?
   3. After installation I was a bit surprised to see that I was good to go
   for Blackberry Webworks development until I realized that it is all Web
   4. There should probably be some links about how to get set up for iOS,
   Android, and BB development.  We certainly don't need to explain the
   nuances of iOS certificates and provisioning profiles but we do need to
   point newbies to a link (provided we are targeting iOS/Android/BB
   development newbies).  I got hung up on needing to setup my Android tablet
   for development before I could run from the command line and had to spend a
   bit more time jogging my memory about basic Android setup.
   5. Why is it just cordova.js in each of the platform repos rather than
   including the version number as we normally do?   I blindly copied the
   mobile-spec into my www directory and since it relies on its own cordova.js
   to set up the version number the back button in the tests no longer worked.
     This is a minor point since I could easily modify mobile-spec to use a
   different technique.  However, I suspect the technique used in mobile-spec
   may be commonly used by multi-platform app developers.  It also might be
   useful to keep the platform name of the cordova file in the platform
   specific directories just to make it clear which is which.
   6. OK, it may seem dumb but it took me awhile to find the create
   command.  I had to scroll through all of the documentation to the samples
   to see that it is cordova create.
   7. I haven't tried any plugins yet.....

my two cents,