cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Lorin Beer <lorin.beer....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Android] Plugins to send on the ice flows to die
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:53:03 GMT
hrm, that makes things trickier. Our deprecation policy is officially 3
releases now, yeah?

It strikes me that the solution is to still deprecate WebSQL and push
for IndexedDB
support.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but deprecating WebSQL won't affect any
releases out in the wild with the polyfill. And the deprecation time gives
us the opportunity to advertise alternatives, so apps without the 'fill
won't rely on WebSQL to begin with.

Simon, is the concern that users will continue to use WebSQL in
Cordova/PhoneGap apps after the polyfill is removed, which will then break
on specific releases of Android?

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Simon MacDonald
<simon.macdonald@gmail.com>wrote:

> Originally it was for the 1.x stream but we found out we needed it for
> some broken implementations of Android 3.0 and one of the Android 4.x
> versions as well.
>
> Simon Mac Donald
> http://hi.im/simonmacdonald
>

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Lorin Beer <lorin.beer.dev@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > it's a valid point, and I'm not too sure how to handle that. Deprecating
> > our polyfill would be the obvious suggestion, but the whole point is to
> let
> > these plugins die, not continue to include potentially broken/breakable
> > code in future releases.
> > How far back does WebSQL support go on Droid?
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Simon MacDonald
> > <simon.macdonald@gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> The thing that worries me about killing our websql support is that we
> >> will get a situation where websql will be available on some versions
> >> of Android but not on others because we have removed our polyfil.
> >>
> >> Simon Mac Donald
> >> http://hi.im/simonmacdonald

> exceeds/matches

> November