cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Lorin Beer <lorin.beer....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Writing binary data to disk
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2013 02:40:37 GMT
Andrew:

the Cordova docs on FileWriter state that the data sent is written as a
UTF-8 string
http://docs.phonegap.com/en/2.5.0/cordova_file_file.md.html#FileWriter
The user doesn't want to specify a hex or binary encoded string, and have
that written as binary data on the native side. As it sits now, providing a
hex string would write a unicode string of hex characters.

In order to to have a hex or binary string actually be written as binary,
we'd need to:
1. pass an argument which explicitly sets the write mode, either to
FileWriter constructor or FileWriter.write
2. set a state on FileWriter stating that the data string it receives is to
be written in binary mode

neither of these two options is explicitly part of the W3C spec on
FileWriter