cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ally Ogilvie <aogil...@wizcorp.jp>
Subject PhoneGap Plugins - Provide Versioning Advice
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 06:56:58 GMT
Hi all,

I am a great fan of rolling releases and pushing much needed features out
as soon as possible, something which the Cordova Team is awesome at doing!

(Here comes the however) However, I hope that as a platform we want not
only indie developers but medium to large development studios to use the
platform too.

Unfortunately something that always plagues software projects is updates
and stability etc.
In a commercial project lasting 6-12 months for game development stuck to
the same version of Cordova, its pretty common to see (from my experience)
that the kick ass plugin you wanted to use just jumped 10 versions of
Cordova rendering it backwards incompatible for you to use...

Assuming you cannot assassinate your project manager or find the extra man
hours to upgrade your Cordova platform (plus all your other plugins), I
personally would love to see more advice given to plugin developers to
version their shit. The platform does it, why not the plugins...

Branches at best, tags at the very least.

the Plugin Development Guide seems to be a logic place for this
http://docs.phonegap.com/en/2.5.0/guide_plugin-development_index.md.html#Plugin%20Development%20Guide

I guess this would help developers use plugman too?

(Rant over) :)

Thanks all!

--
<http://www.wizcorp.jp/>Ally Ogilvie