cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Parashuram Narasimhan (MS OPEN TECH)" <panar...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Platform-level command line scripts
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 05:23:22 GMT
Hi,

I could offer to start helping on the Windows Phone side of things.

P.S: This is my first email to the group, and I think I should introduce myself - I am Parashuram,
working for Microsoft Open Technologies Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Filip Maj [mailto:fil@adobe.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:42 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Platform-level command line scripts

Bringing this up once more, hopefully the last time :)

TL;DR: the behavior and naming of the platform-level scripts are still not 100% lined up.
I'd like to fix this and agree with you all on some of the finer points surrounding this issue.

Benn Mapes, an intern at Adobe, has been working on adding Windows Phone support to cordova-cli.
It's been a bit of work, but the first step is to land command line scripts at the Windows
Phone project level, which he is actively working on. With this happening, I want to make
sure we have our base project-level CLI scripts sorted properly.

Additionally, I've been seeing issues filed against the CLI with essentially users being confused
as to why the behavior of "cordova build"
vs "cordova emulate" on different platforms is different [1] [2].

The answer to all of this is that the project-level scripts have slightly different behavior.
I've looked into what each of Android, iOS and BlackBerry (10) do and I've got a basic table
sorted out (below). I would like to get to an agreement on naming and behavior for each, and
ideally file issues to get as many of our platform implementations as possible to implement/tweak
behavior so that we are consistent on this front.

Scripts
-------

 - build
   - Android: equivalent of running `ant debug`, which simply compiles your app in debug mode
   - BB10: packages your app into a zip, runs `bbwp` on it, and code-signs it
   - iOS: runs a compilation with xcodebuild with configuration set to "Debug"
 - clean
   - Android: equivalent of running `ant clean`, which removes any build artifacts
   - BB10: does not exist
   - iOS: does not exist
 - log
   - Android: `adb logcat`
   - BB10: does not exist
   - iOS: `tail -f console.log`
 - release:
   - Android `ant release`, compiles with your actual signing key
   - BB10: NOPE
   - iOS: compiles with xcodebuild with configuration set to "Release"
 - run:
   - Android: runs on EITHER a connected device, or if no device, on a running emulator, or
if no running emulator, launches an emulator (and if multiple emulator profiles exist, prompts
user to pick one), then finally runs the app on it
   - BB10: asks user if there's a connected device. Then either launches a simulator + loads
the app (if user says he/she has no connected device), or attempts runs a debug build of the
app on a connected device
   - iOS: launches an emulator using ios-sim with the app
 - emulate:
   - Android: does not exist
   - BB10: does not exist
   - iOS: launches an emulator using ios-sim with the app

Easy Wins
---------

 - build: BB10 should change current behaviour so that it doesn't code sign the package.
 - clean: add scripts for BB10 and iOS to support this (should be dead simple).
 - release: BB10 should implement a script that runs a build + a code-sign on the built package.

Harder Wins

There's confusing behavior with run + emulate commands across platforms.
IMO emulate should handle launching an emulator, and run should handle deployment, with an
extra flag available for run command that specifies the deployment target (device or emulator,
perhaps --device and --emulator). Also not entirely sure how Ripple fits in here but I would
definitely like to see Ripple as the default emulator target.

Lots to chew on here but I would highly appreciate some feedback! Renaming some of these commands
is on the table too if anyone sees benefit there!