cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Maj <...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: cordova-cli plugin add/remove/prepare proposal
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:24:44 GMT
Couple notes before I add some comments:

- in general plugin add and rm is COMPLETELY delegated to the plugman
tool. See [1]. Most of the code linked is error checking, otherwise it
shells out to plugman.. With one exception..
- what happens in [2]. Which is the point Braden brought up about
polluting the user's www. Totally agree this should change. At the time of
writing that I dropped a TODO [3] that this was a likely bad assumption.
- the "what plugins are installed" code is already a `ls plugins/` run [4].

Now going back to your proposal:

1. Never pollute user's www. I completely agree with this. Time to
refactor that out.
2. Use existence of directories under the ./plugins dir to identify which
plugins are installed. Yep. Already does that as shown in [4].

If I understand correctly, you are proposing we run a plugin installation
(I.e. Copy over appropriate files and edit config files) every time
cordova prepare is run. This would mean that every time we run prepare, we
have to recreate a native cordova project (otherwise we'd be installing
plugin files into the native project on every command). I'm not sure I
agree with this.. I have to think more about it..

I think this conversation boils down to: should we be recreating cordova
projects on every command, or keep the native projects "persistent" across
commands (which is currently how it operates).

[1] https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/blob/master/src/plugin.js#L72
[2] https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/blob/master/src/plugin.js#L116
[3]
https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/blob/master/src/plugin.js#L117-L118