cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Maj <...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Brainstorming Proposal: Implementing apps as plugins
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 18:48:02 GMT

>So, if an app was bundled as a plugin with its www folder, then if it
>could
>use config-file modification to set the startPage (this may not be
>supported yet), would that be enough?  Ideally plugins would support
>importing a while config.xml file?

I think so.. Currently config file modification in plugman only supports
appending to a config document but that can be changed.

>Also, there is obviously a bit of confusion with using the name "plugin"
>for an "app".

Yeah this is my biggest concern. With the current setup, it is clear where
the application goes. It is on its own and exists right from the get go -
without any added platforms or plugins. While plugin.xml is nice in that
it supports conditional platform config modification + assets, does this
mean users will need to add a plugin.xml to their app before using it with
the tools? This all seems backwards. While I understand the functionality
of both current and proposed approaches essentially DO the same, this
doesn't mean we should dictate the user workflow to follow the
implementation.