cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <>
Subject Re: Brainstorming Proposal: Implementing apps as plugins
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 19:08:11 GMT
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Filip Maj <> wrote:

> >So, if an app was bundled as a plugin with its www folder, then if it
> >could
> >use config-file modification to set the startPage (this may not be
> >supported yet), would that be enough?  Ideally plugins would support
> >importing a while config.xml file?
> I think so.. Currently config file modification in plugman only supports
> appending to a config document but that can be changed.
> >Also, there is obviously a bit of confusion with using the name "plugin"
> >for an "app".
> Yeah this is my biggest concern. With the current setup, it is clear where
> the application goes. It is on its own and exists right from the get go -
> without any added platforms or plugins. While plugin.xml is nice in that
> it supports conditional platform config modification + assets, does this
> mean users will need to add a plugin.xml to their app before using it with
> the tools? This all seems backwards. While I understand the functionality
> of both current and proposed approaches essentially DO the same, this
> doesn't mean we should dictate the user workflow to follow the
> implementation.

Its true, the names are confusing and there are slight differences.
 Perhaps cordova-cli could support two types of manifests: config.xml (or
call it app.xml?) and plugin.xml.  Both apps and plugins could have the
same folder structure, and the manifests would mostly share a common set of
accepted tags/functionality.

As for setup, then cordova-cli could have an "app-init" action and

(side-question: do we have "plugin-init" cordova-cli command planned or do
we tell plugin devs to initialize the file structure manually?)