cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Becky Gibson <gibson.be...@gmail.com>
Subject git frustration!
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2013 17:02:46 GMT
I am trying to merge a fix from someone else into my branch that I created
off of the apache/next branch:

git checkout next
git pull apache next
git checkout -b cb2411
git remote add foo <address>
git fetch foo
git merge foo/branchName

Why does git want to create a new commit when I do the merge?  It
immediately prompts for a commit message and gives me a generic message
about merging?

The only way I can get the code into my branch is to use cherry-pick but
since the branch has two commits this results in two separate commits?

Is my only choice to rebase interactive and squash those commits?

I'm just trying to keep the original author. This is a fairly simple commit
and should not require any merging.

I'm happy to read more docs about git but to be honest, most of it makes my
eyes glaze over!

thanks,
-becky