cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: git frustration!
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2013 18:27:08 GMT
You get a merge commit any time you try to merge in a branch that is not
fast-forward (the internet can explain this better than I can).

You have two options to not have a merge commit:
1. Cherry-pick both commits, one after the other
2. Create a local branch based off of the remote one, rebase it, and then
merge it

The work-flow for #2 is on the committer's wiki page (replace master with
next for your case):

git checkout master
git pull apache
git checkout topic_branch
git checkout -b to_be_merged
git rebase master -i
git checkout master
git merge --ff-only to_be_merged
git push apache master
git branch -d to_be_merged
git branch -D topic_branch
git push apache :topic_branch

Having a merge commit is a bit annoying IMO, but you do end up in the same
state if you use them, and there are fewer git commands to type.