cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Gorkem Ercan <gorkem.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cordova command cli and merges concept pull request
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:10:45 GMT
I have been cooking up a similar functionality for Cordova development
plugins for Eclipse IDE that I am building. I think the only real
difference with what I have is I have named the merges folder as
www_platform.

As my goal is to keep 100% compatible with cordova-cli I was planning to
provide a PL for the same so I would be interested with this work and offer
help if needed.
--
Gorkem

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 6:28 AM, Michael Wolf <Michael.Wolf@cynergy.com>wrote:

> Hey all:
>
> I submitted a pull request for an enhancement of the addition of a merges
> folder/concept into the cli build process.
>
> https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/pull/3
>
> The concept of merges is pretty simple, to support a common core web base
> across platforms, but allow for deploying platform specific www content to
> specific platforms.  The addition to the CLI tool adds a new folder
> "merges" to the root level.  Upon running "cordova platforms add|remove
> platform" a new folder is created under the "merges" folder (ie: merges/ios
> , merges/android etc).  Upon running "cordova buid" any content added to
> this folder will be deployed to the associated www folder in the platforms.
>  This carries for either new content being added, or more importantly
> overrides existing content from the www folder.  For a very simple example
> imagine you have a css file named css/chrome.css in the www folder, where
> you could have .backButton { display:block;} , but then under
> merges/android/css/chrome.css you could have .backButton{display:none;},
> this is a very simplistic use but it illustrates the concept. This
> additional workflow to the build system in the cli enables some great
> processes for building a nice clean cordova app for example.
>

>  *   Allows for keeping code clean and limits the need for platform
> specific js logic per platform
>  *   Enables a process of mocking in custom plugins for in browser dev
> (mocks under www real implementations under merges) , and not risking this
> code filtering into production/device code
>  *   Allows for creating platform specific assets such as css / font /
> images/ videos etc that only gets merged into the specific desired platform
>  *   Allows for accepting that each platform is unique and sometimes need
> specific logic and or shims,  and always deserves the platform specific
> love, and the build process should support doing this cleanly
>
> Anywho    ….. Would love to see this integrated in.
>
> Thanks
>
> mw

Gorkem
http://www.gorkem-ercan.com