cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Yaniv De Ridder <yderi...@adobe.com>
Subject Intro + First contribution
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:41:07 GMT
Hi,

I would like to contribute to Cordova, more precisely to the iOS side of it but first of all
let me present myself.

I'm a computer scientist at Adobe in the Experience Design team mainly working on seed-products
and researches. For more information you can look at my linkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/yderidder.

Recently for one of our project, we extensively used Cordova to produce an iOS app using web
technologies and we ended up writing a bunch of native plugins which I think would be valuable
contributions.

I already started to factor out some of the enhancements we did into a fork of the cordova-ios
github repo which you can find here: https://github.com/yderidde/cordova-ios/

My first contribution is related to the splash screen in iOS:

-  Splash-Screen Fade IN/OUT feature
The first commit is about adding the ability to fade in and out the splash screen. It uses
2 new properties in the xml config file:
'FadeSplashScreen' a boolean to enable or disable the fading.
'FadeSplashScreenDuration' a float, which is the duration of the fade in seconds.
https://github.com/yderidde/cordova-ios/commit/42ab472a29efd5f3568d83252357dbfabc0c3575

- Cordova splash-screen enhancement with smooth iOS-like rotation on re-orientation
The second commit is about nice and smooth rotation transition while the splash is still visible
and reorienting the device. Before it was abruptly switching the image when the orientation
changed which was not very iOS-like. I basically re-wrote the entire routine which to me looks
simpler and 'just works'. This said, the previous routine seemed complex to me and I couldn't
really understand why. So I hope that I didn't introduce a regression here.
https://github.com/yderidde/cordova-ios/commit/8e0069d2fb689d11eed7d1e3b6b62a0a2b9c6b30

While I'm at it, I can also probably look at these 2 issues related to the splash screen in
iOS:

---
I believe at this point, the next step would be to open an issue for each on Jira ? and start
getting some feedback from you guys before I do a pull request.

Cheers,
/yaniv