cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Maj <...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Cordova-CLI: Version handling
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2013 20:16:27 GMT

On 1/18/13 11:35 AM, "Anis KADRI" <anis.kadri@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:
>
>> One thing that strikes me as bad in this case is that the cli tools
>>become
>> a global dependency. If you are managing multiple cordova projects that
>> use different cordova versions, it would be tricky to try to support
>>both
>> projects simultaneously. Are we going up a slippery slope here?
>>

>With the current architecture, I believe it should upgrade all or none.
>Dealing with multiple cordova app versions within the same project is
>tricky and error prone.

That's not on the table. I wasn't talking about handling different cordova
versions within one project (I.e. Android running 2.3 vs iOS running 2.4).
I was talking about having separate projects running different cordova
versions. This problem should be solved first before attempting to solve
different versions of cordova used in the same project for different
platforms.

>I agree that platform maintainers should start writing upgrade scripts
>(from one version to the version immediately after) instead of upgrade
>guides. The CLI would consume them.

Sweet. When does the group thinkg we should we start doing this? 2.4.0rc1?

>One tricky point as far as upgrades are concerned is plugins. How to
>upgrade them with Cordova versions ? Will they work properly if/when
>Cordova gets updated to a newer version ? Should the plugin spec be
>updated
>to reflect multiple cordova versions support ?

Doesn't the spec already support specifying which version of cordova it
works against? If not, it definitely should. Where are we keeping track of
the spec?

As for what to do with plugins when upgrading.. Hmm. Naïve first step:
plugman --remove it, run the upgrade script, plugman --add it back in? If
it errors it errors, let the user figure it out?