cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Maj <...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Cordova-CLI: Version handling
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 20:17:08 GMT

On 1/17/13 11:57 AM, "Andrew Grieve" <agrieve@chromium.org> wrote:

>Looking at iOS as an example:
>
>To do an upgrade:
>1. Close xcode
>2. Delete CordovaLib & CordovaLib.xcodeproj
>3. Copy in new CordovaLib & CordovaLib.xcodeproj
>
>Sometimes:
>- Add extra frameworks to your App's target
>

>The thing I'd be afraid of with a script, is if they've modified their
>CordovaLib or their CordovaLib.xcodeproj in any way. Maybe we can just
>mitigate this by showing them a warning and a confirm prompt before going
>ahead with it?

If they've modified it then I think expecting a stock upgrade or downgrade
script to work is unrealistic. We can't solve all possible problems our
users will encounter..

>I don't think we should put effort into downgrading. People should be
>using
>source-control for that. Again though, a warning message + confirm prompt
>should suffice here?

Agree but wanted to open up the discussion anyways.

>Fil, what are your thoughts around versioning the cordova-cli tool?

Yep. The tools are now following the point releases of the main project as
of 2.3. However, the patch revision for the CLI tools are on their own
track. This way I can roll out fixes and updates quickly, on a per-release
basis. I think currently the tools are at 2.3.4 since I committed four
patches since enabling support for cordova 2.3.0. Make sense?

>I think
>I'd like it to work so that cordova-cli *is* versioned along with the rest
>of it, but that it would work with older cordova projects without forcing
>them to upgrade.

Not sure if this is doable. The maintenance necessary to maintain old
cordova structures would be a lot of work. For example, plugins.xml vs.
config.xml support. Not only did we change the name, but now the structure
is diverging greatly from what this file used to be.