cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Anis KADRI <anis.ka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cordova-CLI: Version handling
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2013 19:35:06 GMT
On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:

> One thing that strikes me as bad in this case is that the cli tools become
> a global dependency. If you are managing multiple cordova projects that
> use different cordova versions, it would be tricky to try to support both
> projects simultaneously. Are we going up a slippery slope here?

With the current architecture, I believe it should upgrade all or none.
Dealing with multiple cordova app versions within the same project is
tricky and error prone.
Side note: This is one of the reasons why having apps self-contained in a
project vs separate can be an issue and why I wanted the cli tool to deal
with apps independently.

I agree that platform maintainers should start writing upgrade scripts
(from one version to the version immediately after) instead of upgrade
guides. The CLI would consume them.

I also agree that downgrades should not be available.

One tricky point as far as upgrades are concerned is plugins. How to
upgrade them with Cordova versions ? Will they work properly if/when
Cordova gets updated to a newer version ? Should the plugin spec be updated
to reflect multiple cordova versions support ?