cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Becky Gibson <gibson.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting Started (Android) feedback
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2013 22:32:07 GMT
I know I'm late to the party but I have some concerns about the idea of
providing only command line instructions.   I'm not sure what the plans are
for detailed instructions but I'm not sure our current user base is going
to be comfortable using the instructions currently in the readme in the
cordova-cli repo.  Don't get me wrong,  I understand that the repo is for
developers but I think we need to take a closer look at the current cordova
user base and make a decision about what type of developer we want to
support and how we want to support them.  Then we can craft the correct
type of useful documentation.

Based on what I see in the PhoneGap group, many users are very naive and
have limited "hard-core" development skills.  Many are not familiar with
IDE's let alone using the command line!   Maybe that is not the user base
we want to encourage?  Perhaps we should be pushing those users to products
built upon Cordova like IBM's Worklight or Adobe's Dreamweaver integration
or others?  We really should be considering our audience as we make changes
that affect the installation and use of Cordova.  I believe the goal of
Cordova is to make building Mobile apps easier and we certainly have been
pushing that idea at conferences.  And we do tell people that you just need
HTML and Web skills.

Yes, it is difficult to keep the documentation up to date when there are so
many changes but it should be considered as part of making and scheduling
changes.

In addition, I think that we may need to continue to provide some level of
detail about installing prerequisites.  For the IDEs there are generally
fairly good installation documents available from other sources and we
shouldn't try to replicate them.   For iOS we can point to the instructions
provided by Apple.  For Eclipse we can hopefully find some third party
instuctions or point to something at eclipse.org.  Many of our users need
this level of hand holding.   However, point at nodejs.org and telling
someone to install node could be daunting for some users  - the nodejs site
is really geared for developers, not end users!

Ok, I'm rambling.  The point I'm trying to make is I think we need to
determine who the user base for Cordova really is,  clearly spell that out
in the wiki or home page  and taylor our documentation and installation
towards that user base.