cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject the great seperatino of concerns
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2013 20:34:55 GMT
Our general goal for Cordova 3.x is composability. Extending the core
should be trivially simple, with tools for discovering, adding,
removing, creating, validating, and publishing Plugin Packages. This
will make creating downstream distributions easier, developers using
Cordova won't be building from a 'kitchen sink', and most importantly
we will have a sane way to extend the platform in new directions.

Anis has been working w/ Fil, Lunny, and Mike on the Plugman tool. As
just mentioned by Fil it is now stable enough to start looking at
stripping our API surface from individual platforms and putting them
into their own repos. This is going to kind of suck at first.
Additional tools will be required.

Fil, "first we need to identify which platforms we want to support
with auto plugin management". Agree, think we should strive for
support in the 'Core Platforms' [1].

This would mean the next steps would be:

- BlackBerry support for Plugman
- Windows Phone support for Plugman
- Bada support for Plugman  (Do we still consider this a core platform
in 2013 or should Tizen take this spot??)

In parallel, we'd look at  moving core plugins out into individual
repos. We should take this slow, and start w/ something simple, like
org.apache.cordova.geolocation (which will help us move Coho and
Robson tools to make this transition transparent to the users
downloading downstream distributions.)

Thoughts?

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/PlatformSupport

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/PlatformSupport