cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Wallis <kwal...@rim.com>
Subject RE: Review of Core Platforms
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2013 22:21:25 GMT
What does "schedule for removal mean"?  Perhaps we can tie removal to some specific metric
that we might be able to assist with?  BB7 will remain a fairly large base of devices for
a while, particularly in emerging markets and enterprise, where I think we will continue to
see a large focus on web-based mobile applications.

While I wholeheartedly support BlackBerry 10 as the primary platform for new development,
I would like to see support for BB7 continue while it remains a large customer base.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

--

Ken Wallis

Product Manager – BlackBerry WebWorks

Research In Motion

(905) 629-4746 x14369

From: Filip Maj [fil@adobe.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 4:44 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Review of Core Platforms

Our CorePlatforms wiki article [1] has this:

----

Core: These are the main platforms supported by the Apache Cordova project.

* iOS
* Android
* BlackBerry
* Windows Phone
* Bada

Sunset: These are platforms considered to be on their way out of general
consumer availability. We offer code, but not distribution of these
platforms.

* Symbian
* webOS

Sunrise: These are new platforms coming to Apache Cordova with some
development under way.

* Tizen
* Qt

Horizon: These are platforms that we hope to see supported by Apache
Cordova in the future!

* B2G

----

Some propositions + questions, all up for debate of course:

- I'm not sure about Bada. Last I checked Bada's passing % of mobile-spec
is fairly weak (some features are just not doable; correct me if I'm
wrong). I would like to propose that a platform is eligible for "Core" if
they have >90% passing rate on mobile-spec. I would vote to move it into a
new "Marginal" category, along with, say, cordova-mac or cordova-qt. Also,
Bada-wac, how does this fit in?
- Where does the ubuntu phone fit into this?
- I would suggest we schedule removal of the BlackBerry 7 (java) and
Playbook (Air) implementations, and have our BlackBerry implementation be
BB10 only moving forward.
- The "Windows Phone" category above covers both 7 and 8? What about
Windows 8?

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/PlatformSupport

and may be unlawful.