cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Tommy-Carlos Williams <to...@devgeeks.org>
Subject Time to do something about the PhoneGap Plugins repo
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:44:25 GMT
Hi all (especially Shazron, Simon and anyone else working day-to-day on the Plugins repo),

There seems to be a trend at the moment with the plugins repo for users to get angry and jump
on the entitlement train when the plugin they wanna use isn't maintained and updated quickly
enough, even though that would have to be a full time job to maintain that many plugins authored
by other people. We have taken a step in the right direction encouraging people to keep new
plugins they submit in their own repos and only have a link to them in the README on the main
repo… but….

I am proposing that we get proactive about the authors looking after their own plugins.

I am proposing that we go through the plugins and where we *can* discern who the author *is*,
try and contact them and ask them to host the plugin in their own repo as we have started
to do (and therefore have their own issue tracking for their own code).

Where we cannot, we should decide if it is a plugin one of us is willing to maintain. If so,
great, we move it to one of our repos. If not… Put a note right in the top of the README
that the plugin might not be up to date, etc. Caveat Emptor and all that.

What say you?

- tommy