cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Silivestru <dan.silives...@gmail.com>
Subject Looking for feedback from the group
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2012 20:45:55 GMT
Hi Cordova and Ripple communites,

As some of you might know, we had a great hack session with some of the
good folks at Adobe this past week in Whistler. I wanted to email the group
here to update everyone on the progress made and to ask for comments /
feedback.

Please keep in mind that this is still in prototype stage and things will
likely change based on feedback and future work.

The work was primarily done on Ripple and geared towards the
Cordovadeveloper crowd. The two features implemented are as follows:

*Device Proxy*:

Allowing both Ripple and a device running a new Ripple companion app to
connect to a socket server (part of Ripple CLI). This will result in all
api calls (such as the accelerometer api) made by the mobile app inside
ripple to be proxied directly to the connected device running the companion
app. Basically making it such that your application is running in ripple,
but all data will be coming from the connected device. Here are links to
the repos and branches involved.

Ripple device proxy branch:
https://github.com/tinyhippos/Ripple-UI/tree/device.proxy
Ripple companion app: https://github.com/gtanner/ripple-companion

*How to get this stuff running?*

Pretty straight forward.

   - Get ripple setup

git clone git@github.com:tinyhippos/Ripple-UI.git
cd Ripple-UI
git checkout device.proxy
./configure
jake

   - install the CLI (from the Ripple-UI dir)

npm install -g .
ripple

OR

./bin/ripple

   - load ripple as unpacked extension into Chrome (if not using Hosted
   Ripple), more details here:
   https://github.com/tinyhippos/Ripple-UI/blob/next/README.md#running-as-a-chrome-extension
   - compile and install the companion app (if you want to play with Ripple
   Device Proxy)
   - Run the following command over a directory that contains your app

ripple emulate --path <your app's www folder>

   - Open http://localhost:4400 and enable Ripple (probably still best to
   use Chrome for now)
   - Open the Device Proxy ui panel
   - Pair the Ripple companion app with the socket serve

*Hosted Ripple:*

The feature removes Ripple's dependency on the Chrome Extension mechanism.
It gets kicked off from the CLI and essentially acts as a
man-in-the-middle. Allowing Ripple to run in most modern browsers (only
tested on Firefox and Chrome so far).

Ripple hosted branch:
https://github.com/tinyhippos/Ripple-UI/tree/hosted.ripple

*How to run?*

To run a local app, just read this commit message:
https://github.com/tinyhippos/Ripple-UI/commit/81ed4ef7770e22f411bae9fc69bf2d4efe547a14
*
*
To run a remobe app, just read this commit message:
https://github.com/tinyhippos/Ripple-UI/commit/6961052a01aa2550b2f5a4c234cc746ddc88d876
*
*
Also, we spoof the userAgent header with hosted ripple to ensure we get
proper mobile content from loaded sites. Commit with comments here:
https://github.com/tinyhippos/Ripple-UI/commit/9a10a8833706bcdb54663b70bb5dbf7d7b887c8e

*
*
Last by not least, Brian Higgins spent quite a bit of time on the Mobile
Spec app for BB10 and managed to kill about 80+ failing specs. Figured this
was a good time to introduce Brian to the group (cc'd here) :-)

Really looking forward to people's comments / thoughts on these features
and our approach.

Thanks in advance,

--
Dan Silivestru