cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <mmo...@google.com>
Subject 3rd party Plugin code structure
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2012 19:03:39 GMT
Seems that our thirdparty plugins are platform-centric; with javascript not
written to be shared across platforms.

Even if individual contributors are not willing to write implementations
for other platforms, or if a plugin only really applies to a single
platform, I think we should still provide good plugin structure conventions
that could scale to multiple platform implementations in the future.

As far as I'm aware, this was the case with core plugins at some point, and
we made a big change to unify the js, right?

Well, I think that plugin structure should be more like:

plugin_name/
- common/ [js code]
- platform/
 - ios/ [native code]
 - android/ [native code]
 - etc..

and less like we have now

ios/plugin_name/
 - [js code]
 - [native code]

android/plugin_name/
 - [js code -- different api]
 - [native code]

I don't think we need to redo whats there now, but it would be nice to
decide on a structure, put up a skeleton for starting with, and mention it
in the Readme.

(I ask before I'm going to be adding an android version of WebNotifications
some day, and I really don't want to fork the JS)

-Michal