cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Determining if "you're in cordova"
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2012 09:54:23 GMT
On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Andrew Lunny <alunny@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem, afaict, is distinguishing between:
>
> 1) deviceready hasn't fired yet
> 2) deviceready isn't ever going to fire
>
> which right now boils down to "guess how long deviceready will take, and
> setTimeout() until some time after that."

Yup.  Exactly.

> I tend to agree with Max - it'd be a worthwhile thing to have, unless the
> implementation is prohibitively difficult.

The implementation of this isn't difficult.  It is however, suspect, since
it's based on some arbitrary time amount.  Is 5 seconds long enough - seems
like it would be.  But maybe not.  10?  Do we decide what this number is,
or does the user?  I can see the questions on the Google group already ...
:-)

And what is the app supposed to do until this time amount expires?

When I think about the problem like that, I start to think "progressive
enhancement".  eg, build this page in such a way that it will "work",
presumably in some degraded way, if deviceready never fires, and then if
deviceready DOES fire, reshuffle your bits to take that into account.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org