cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject [Android] - State, Plugins and the Android Lifecycle
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2012 22:53:14 GMT
Hey

I think that we really need to figure out what's going on in DroidGap.  I
know that this isn't a sexy new feature like WebRTC or anything, but we
need to figure this out.  Right now, we have the following problem:

1. User uses a plugin that fires an intent and launches an external activity
2. That activity takes up memory and closes DroidGap
3. When we get back to DroidGap, we can't recover the state, and as such as
we can't get the camera

Now, while this is primarily with Camera, this might be with other things
as well (i.e. BarcodeScanner, Camera with Video) and we should really clean
up our lifecycle issues instead of trying to bring all these inside.  Also,
for the CordovaWebView people, we are going to have to figure out a way to
handle this lifecycle but make it easy for them to deal with these changes.

I propose that we start working on an CordovaActivity feature that cleans
out DroidGap and brings sanity to the world so that we can try to save and
restore the instance states and hopefully make things a bit more robust.  I
can't guarantee that we'll get everything, but I think this approach at the
very least will lead to cleaner code, and more tests.

Any thoughts about the Android Lifecycle and the state of DroidGap?

Joe