cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Brian>
Subject Re: capabilities api
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 23:52:00 GMT
I dunno, I think this is independent of the current APIs. (More than
one API we have deals w/ Cameras for example.) Seems like we want more
nuance than boolean too (consider front && back camera). We are
definitely talking about hardware/sensors detection.

Not loving the w3c cc/pp spec, that RDF business looks hairy, I think
we need something more approachable like you describe.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Filip Maj <> wrote:
> Tack on a .yep boolean onto every API surface?
> On 10/19/12 2:25 PM, "Brian LeRoux" <> wrote:
>>Community member Ian has noticed our lack of a capabilities api, and
>>ignoring the snipe at our foresight, I do agree its a missing piece in
>>the web platform. [1]
>>There is some prior art.
>>- Media queries have a couple of interesting APIs (matchMedia [2],
>>window.devicePixelRatio, and potentially a future
>>- Flash has a comprehensive capabilities API. [3]
>>- The W3C has a somewhat unwieldy take on this issue. [4]  It should
>>be noted that a new working group at the w3c called sysapps will be
>>addressing this.
>>- Tizen has a System Info API (which I'd link to but cannot).
>>Does anyone have any thoughts on how we should structure / develop out
>>the ability for our users to query the device capbilities?

View raw message