cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: iOS changes in 2.2.0
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 18:55:21 GMT
Great write-up Simon! Thanks for doing this.

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Simon MacDonald
<simon.macdonald@gmail.com>wrote:

> Here is the post. Am I missing anything Android devs? Yes, I stole the
> first 3 directly from Shaz.
>
> 1. FileTransfer API changes
>
> Added support for the onprogress event to get progress events for a
> FileTransfer operation
> Added the abort function to cancel a FileTransfer operation
>
> See the API doc.
>
> 2. Graduated the Globalization plugin to core
>
> This plugin was previously in the phonegap-plugins repo (BB WebWorks
> 5, iOS, Android). The globalization object obtains information and
> performs operations specific to the user’s locale and timezone.
>
> See the API doc.
>
> 3. Splashscreen API
>
> The Splashscreen API is now formally documented for iOS and Android.
>
> 4. Android JavaScript to Java bridge improvements
> The callback server is gone.
> Uses events to specify when a result it ready.
> Defaults to polling if all else fails.

I don't think it ever falls back to polling anymore. Might be better to
just say that the bridge now uses magic, and link to the JIRA issue (CB-638)

> Up to 25 times faster.
> 5. Partial support for video tag
>
> We've been able to shim in support for the video tag. See my earlier
> blog post for more details.
>
> 6. Hardware acceleration is enabled by default
>
> When you run bin/create to make a new PhoneGap Android project then
> android:hardwareAccelerated is set to true by default on the main
> activity.
>
> See Android docs for an explanation of hardware acceleration.
>
> 7. useBrowserHistory now defaults to true
>
> We've deprecated the current way that history is handled in Android
> apps in favour of the default way it is handled in the web view. To go
> back a page you should be using history.back(). If you need to enable
> the old way to handle history you can set useBrowserHistory to false
> in config.xml.

Might be good to mention that iframes now work because of this.

> 8. Introduce CordovaPlugin class
>
> CordovaPlugin will be replacing the Plugin class for extending
> PhoneGap functionality. It adds a new execute method public boolean
> execute(String action, String rawArgs, CallbackContext
> callbackContext) to enable developers passing large amounts of data to
> the native side provide their own JSON parser.

Maybe add: It also cuts down on boiler-plate, makes multi-threading easier,
and adds an application-wide thread-pool to CordovaInterface.

> 9. Various bug fixes
> Back and Menu button events now fire if the cursor is inside a text view.
> Fixed a path where the whitelist was not being checked in DroidGap.
> FileTransfer.download now supports the trustAllHosts option to allow
> downloading from servers with self signed certificates.
> Removed trailing space from contact.name.formatted.
> Properly set contact's IM type.
> navigator.language is now set properly when the language is switched
> in Android settings.

10. Adds an onReset function to plugins so that background operations (such
as file transfers or playing sounds) will be stopped by page navigations.

> Simon Mac Donald
> http://hi.im/simonmacdonald
>

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Andrew Lunny <alunny@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Woot, go shame!
> >

> > On 28 October 2012 09:37, Simon MacDonald <simon.macdonald@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> You have shamed me into it. I will put something together this week.
> >>
> >> Simon Mac Donald
> >> http://hi.im/simonmacdonald

> it

> http://shazronatadobe.wordpress.com/2012/10/27/whats-new-in-cordova-ios-2-2-0/